Do microwaves poison food? One Marshall Dudley posted the results of what was supposedly a granddaughter's science project, in which the kid watered two plants (geraniums? the leaves on the clippings look different from the plantings). One sprout sipped microwaved water while the other got stove-boiled water--after it chilled, I assume. It's not a double-blind study, peer-reviewed in Nature. Yet one glance at the results are enough to make any microwave-wary folks gulp. Dudley followed up:
We have seen a number of comments on this, such as what was the water in the microwave boiled in. The thinking is that maybe some leaching took place if it was in plastic. It was boiled in a plastic cup, so this could be a possibility.
Yeah, everyone says that plastic is safe, and microwaves don't cause cancer (although popcorn bags definitely leach teflon into your munchies). But does nuking food and water make it less healthy for living things, if not deadly? Was this a case of radiation sickness or plastic poisoning, was this test too sloppy to tell, or is it a hoax?